Sunday, May 4, 2008

New Garden

Well, we decided to turn the side yard into a garden. We have been planning it out for a while and ended up just going really simple. It will have 12 4x6 beds and then a border bed all around. I am planning on growing step-over apples along the sides and will have a perennial and herb bed with an arbor in the front. The bed goes from a little behind the lilac (lower right of pic) til just in front of the cherry tree. We will probably add some fruit trees behind the cherry tree and in front of the pecan for a little orchard. It we ever decide to go ahead and get some bees, this is probably where they would go.


We should be able to grow a nice amount of veggies here:) We are starting to price freezers so we have some way of preserving our harvest. Dan is also planning on setting up a rain water collection system from the garage to help water this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I am determined to make something grow this year! I am a total gardening novice, so I will probably use your knowledge, if I may!

I finally put up the pictures of B & L dancing on my Flickr!

Anonymous said...

oops, forgot to sign that, it's Anna!

Anonymous said...

I think its disturbing that you name your chickens after food. lol. We are looking into rain barrells also. And we have a deep freeze and love it. You really cant go wrong with one and our electric bill barely budged. Our garden is doing so-so. My radishes are growing like crazy, but so far nothing with my okra or my cucumbers. My herbs (basil, parsely, and chives) are growing really well. Good Luck.

jen H from stlap