Saturday, March 15, 2014

2014 Seedlings

Every year I go back and forth with how many seeds I start indoors vs direct sowing outside.  With the garden expansions and the children being older I am moving back towards doing more flowers and ornamentals, meaning I am starting more indoors.  So far this year I have 11 trays started and only have room for more on my light stand. I could call it done, but I kind of wanted to get a jump start on a lot of my companion flowers (zinnias, cosmos, marigolds, calendula, alyssum, cornflowers, on and on) which I don't think is going to happen.  Oh well, those direct start pretty easily.

I didn't do a seed inventory this year:/  Many will be listed below in the seedlings started list, but I have a ton of varieties that I am either not using this year or that will be direct sown later.

So what I have going so far:

Tomatoes - 11 varieties
Peppers - 8 varieties
Tomatillos - purple and green
Eggplant
Zucchini
Cucumber
Broccoli
Cauliflower

Amaranth
Thyme
Soapwort
Parsley
Oregano
Catmint
Cilantro
Horehound
Anise Hyssop
Marshmallow
Basil - 3 varieties
Borage
Roman Chamomile
German Chamomile
Lavender (Munstead)
Lemon Mint Monarda

4 o'clocks - marble and salmon
Apricot Foxglove
Heliotrope
Alpine Aster
Coleus - pineapple, black dragon, and rainbow
Lobelia - cardinal and crystal palace
Petunia - stellaris and tidal wave silver
Kalanchoe
Gaura
Miss Whilmott's Ghost Sea Holly
Columbine
Butterfly Weed
Balsam
Blue Clips Bellflower
Johnny Jump ups
Pansy
Impatiens
Silver Falls Dichondra
Begonia

These, along with the perennials and self sowers from years past and the direct sow annuals I will add, should give a pretty show this year in the different beds.  The crocus are currently blooming their little hearts out, the early daffs are getting buds, and the rest of the bulbs are growing well.  Spring is coming :)